Wednesday 1 May 2013

Music I'm listening to:

Currently, and most of the time really, I am listening to quite a lot of music. I listen when I am at the gym, when I walk my dogs each day, when I'm at uni and in the library, if I'm on my break at work; I listen to music a lot okay? That said, I thought I might share who I've been into recently.

Hurts
Let me tell you a story. A couple of years ago I went to Germany to visit my friend. One day we were driving down the autobahn (at an insanely scary speed by the way) and this song came on. It was soothing and a background type song that we didn't take much notice of as we talked. Then another day we were driving again, and again this song came on and the carload of us found ourselves singing along dramatically. Then again, and again, and again, this song kept playing! And none of us knew who it was! We googled it and found out that it was "Stay" by Hurts, whom we had never heard of before. One of the first things I did when I got home from Germany (besides sleep till 4pm the following day from jetlag) was buy their cd. I haven't regretted it. And now their new cd is out, long awaited I might add, and I am in love with it. These two men that make up this incredible band, are unable to be expressed in simple English. I think that they are genuinely reading my mind and expressing it in lyrics - and not in a corny Taylor Swift kind of way. Their new song "Somebody to die for" expresses everything I feel about falling for someone.

Hurts, "Somebody To Die For"

Ellie Goulding
This girl's voice is insane! I heard her a few years back with her cover of "Your Song" and her single "Lights", both of which I downloaded immediately. But then she was gone for a while here, but her new album "Halcoyn" has really bought her back into the market. I think there isn't a single song that I don't like. My favourite is "My Blood". My itunes already says that I've listened to it 20 times, which considering I've only had the album for a few weeks is actually quite a lot.

Ellie Goulding, "My Blood" live at Itunes Festival 2012

Passenger
I first saw this dude open for Ed Sheeran when they performed at Vector Arena earlier in the year. He was hilarious. The song "I hate" made me laugh out loud. The crowd screamed when he said the line about how people come to concerts and then "talk through every fucking song". Love it! Ed introduced him as someone who's had 6 No.1's and is not signed to a record label. It's brave of him to be an independent artist still; it's a relief to have someone still in the industry for the music and not the money.

Passenger, "I hate"

Macklemore and Ryan Lewis
If you haven't heard the album Heist, you must've been living under a rock. These two came to each major city in New Zealand for 'O-Week' which is literally Orientation week for all the newbies. This concert was so big that they had to move venues and go to an Arena instead of just having it as an outdoor concert. The crowd was sweating and the music was loud and everyone had drunk a little too much, and it was ultimately incredible. Macklemore has such inspiring things to say. His song "Same Love" went to No.1 here in New Zealand, and now with the passing of the Same Sex Marriage bill here, it's no wonder that New Zealanders love this song really isn't it? 

Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, "Same Love"

Imagine Dragons
I love their whole debut album. Other than that "It's time" and "Radioactive" are currently on repeat on my ipod, I don't know what to say.

Imagine Dragons, "Radioactive"

Neon Hitch

This girl's real name is Neon. How crazy is that? According to Wikipedia, she grew up with street performing parents as travellers and therefore never attended school. Throughout her childhood and youth she was a trapeze artist, fire swinger, and stilt walker. Eventually she was discovered on Myspace. Insane! Check her out. I love it. She does an awesome cover of "Gucci Gucci" by Kreayshawn.


Neon Hitch, "Fuck U Betta"

The Weeknd

Found this dude somewhere the other day, can't quite remember where but I think I was going through links of things and just stumbled across him. That's always the best way to find someone. I love his song "Twenty Eight". It's incredibly soulful and the lyrics powerful. His voice is truly spine-chilling. The control he has over his voice is inspiring, I would love to be able to grace up to the notes that he does with such apparent easiness.




No comments:

Post a Comment